Learn from one of the top divorce lawyers in Chicago, IL
Nothing about divorce is easy, but dividing up property and other assets is a piece of the puzzle that people often forget to think about when they’re going through a divorce. Here are five things to know about this particularly sticky area of divorce law:
1. The first thing you should do when you’re getting a divorce in Chicago, IL is hire a talented divorce lawyer. These issues are difficult to handle without one.
2. You, your ex-spouse and your lawyers need to determine exactly what assets you own and whether or not they should be classified as marital or not marital.
3. In general, if you acquired the property while married, it is considered marital. However, there are exceptions to this rule.
4. After you have classified your property, you need to value it. Your lawyer will help you do this.
5. Once everything is on the table, your lawyer will help you settle on an equitable distribution.
Call 312-255-0007 as soon as possible to speak with an experienced divorce lawyer in Chicago, IL.